18 Jul Downtown sidewalk revitalization helping City of Progress live up to its name
By Kimberly Hyde | WTVY
Enterprise officials say they are paving the way for more economic progress.
“What we are trying to do is to bring life and to make sure that our downtown area has what it needs in order to attract people to come down, as well as to attract businesses,” said City of Enterprise Mayor Bill Cooper.
Mayor Cooper wasn’t mayor when the city began the downtown sidewalk revitalization project in 2003, but he has seen the benefits.
“As you look down main street and see the work that’s been done, it looks really good,” he said.
In the initial phases, both College Street and Main Street were revamped. Crews ripped up old sidewalks, replacing them with red bricks and updated walkways. Upgrades like new lighting fixtures, planters and underground irrigation have also been added.
Project Manager Tim Ramsden says the downtown area’s sleek new look has attracted more foot traffic.
“If you want to shop or if you own a business, you want to go where you feel comfortable, where you feel at home,” said Ramsden, City Project Manager, CDG Engineers & Associates. “It brings the public back into downtown.”
Along with attracting new businesses, existing ones have also been energized. Enterprise businesses have invested one million dollars alone in storefront facelifts.
Now in its final phase, sidewalks from Adams Street to Watts Street are being brought in line with the rest of downtown.
Mayor Cooper says the City of Progress is living up to its name.
“When people go down and walk on the sidewalk, they’ll see something that really is our purpose as far as extending and promoting our downtown area,” he said.
This revitalization project does come with a price tag of about $2 million. The city is footing 20% of the bill. The other 80% is being funded by grant dollars through T.A.P. – that’s the state’s ALDOT Transportation Alternative Program.
Barring inclement weather, Ramsden estimates the sidewalk revitalization project will be completed in three to four weeks.